Cogmed Working Memory Training™ is an evidence -based program for helping children, adolescents and adults sustainably improve attention by training their working memory. Based on scientific research, Cogmed is computer-based training under the supervision of a Cogmed Qualified Coach.
Improving working memory can lead to better academic performance!
Studies show a deficit in working memory leads to difficulties in school, especially in reading comprehension and math.
■ What is Cogmed?
This is fundamental cognitive training, not skills learning:
Cogmed does not teach you new skills. We help you create a platform for learning skills. The concept of neuroplasticity, the idea that the brain can reorganize itself and change, is what allows Cogmed to effectively change the way the brain functions to perform at its maximum capacity.
There are many training programs for various skills such as reading, math, or time management. Cogmed acts on a different, more fundamental level. Once your working memory has improved, you will find that acquiring new skills is suddenly much more doable for you.
■ Who is Cogmed training for?
Cogmed training is for those who wish to improve their ability to concentrate and are constrained by their working memory. Some have diagnosed attention deficits, some have suffered a brain injury, and others find they’re not doing as well as they could academically given their intelligence and their efforts.
Cogmed Working Memory Training™ is built around three easy-to-use and age-specific program applications.
Cogmed JM – Preschool : Younger children use their working memory for a number of things, such as focusing on and following instructions, and remaining seated to complete independent activities.
Cogmed RM – School Aged: Working memory is crucial for children and adolsescents in school and socially. Reading, solving math problems, planning and following a conversation all rely on working memory.
Cogmed QM – Adult: Working memory in adult and professional life is critical for challenges such as planning, focusing, resisting distraction, and meeting deadlines.
■ What is working memory and why is it important?
Working memory is an essential cognitive function necessary for a wide-range of tasks related to attention and focus. It is the ability to keep information in your mind for several seconds, manipulate it, and use it in your thinking. It is central to concentration, problem solving, and impulse control. Poor working memory is the source of many problems related to attention and is often linked to ADHD, and other learning disabilities.
■ Uses and benefits
Cogmed Working Memory Training™ is developed to help people sustainably improve working memory and attention. Working memory is the ability to keep information in your mind for a short time, focus on a task and remember what to do next. By training your working memory, you will be better able to stay focused, ignore distractions, plan next steps, remember instructions, start and finish tasks. It is most often experienced as attention problems and is a source of poor academic and professional performance.
- Improved ability to sustain attention
- Improved impulse control
- Better complex reasoning skills
- Better academic performance
■ The complete program includes:
- Initial Interview – We will schedule a talk with the person interested in going through the program (or the parent if it is regarding a child). The likelihood of him/her benefiting from the training is evaluated. This interview can be done in person or by phone.
- Start-up session – We will plan and structure the training together with the user (and the parent if it is regarding a child). Can also be done as a phone meeting.
- Five weeks of training with weekly coach calls – The user is training at home and will talk with the Cogmed Coach on a weekly basis to get advice on how to get the most out of the training, feedback and motivation.
- Wrap-up session – About one month after the training is completed; the Cogmed Coach will summarize the training together with the user and give feedback from rating scales and the Cogmed Training Web.
- Six months follow-up interview – The Cogmed Coach documents training effects once again, with more time elapsed and the effects fully emerged.
- Access to the Cogmed Training Web – Both the user and the Cogmed Coach will be able to review and monitor the results of each day’s training on graphs, using an online application.
- Cogmed Extension Training – When the intense five week training is completed and the training has been wrapped-up, the user will get access to 100 sessions of training with the software, to use over a 12 month period.
The program adjusts complexity level for each exercise, in real time, for maximized training effect. There are 25 sessions of 30-40 minutes each, done over 5 weeks. The trainee is supported by a Cogmed Qualified Coach who leads the training, tracks results, and gives support and motivation.